Many site administrators will opt to use a staged roll-out of Ontolica. This strategy works as follows:
1. Establish a test copy of the current SharePoint setup.
2. Install Ontolica on the test setup.
3. Configure and test Ontolica on the test setup.
4. When everything is shown to work correctly on the test setup, install Ontolica on the live setup.
5. Transfer the configurations that have been shown to work correctly in the test setup. Remember to transfer the XML files for each site
collection and site, plus settings from the property bag for the farm and applications (see below).
The above process is often referred to as “staging.” You might use this procedure when installing Ontolica for the first time, when upgrading Ontolica and/or whenever you make significant configuration changes for Ontolica.