Since introduction of Ontolica Cube feature (previously known as Ontolica Search Intelligence), it is possible to use Microsoft Excel to create and view reports
based on statistics gathered by Ontolica Search. For example, it is possible to view who searched for what and when.
This article describes the steps to create an example report using MS Excel 2007/2010.
1. Open MS Excel running as a user who has access to the Analysis Services on the SQL Server where Ontolica Cube was configured.
2. In the Data menu tab select From Other Source > From Analysis Services button.
3. Type in the name of the SQL Server and press Next.
4. From the database list select SurfRay Reporting and check to connect to the specific cube or table. You should see entry called “RECUBE” in the list. Press Next.
5. Select file name for saving the file and press Finish.
6. In the Import Data popup window you can select for example Pivot Chart and Pivot Table Report. Press OK.
7. In the Pivot Table Field List which should appear in Excel, select the following items:
- Ontolica Search Count
- Query String
- Account Name
8. A report should now be generated in Excel listing users who made searches in Ontolica, the exact queries made and the number of times they were made.
Additional reports can be created by selecting different values in the Pivot Table Field List.